Thursday, May 20, 2010

Sola Sevilla.

I headed back down to the south, this time without crutches and alone.

Sevilla was incredible, the epitome of the image of Spain we all have. It is a city of adorable buildings and streets with a river running down the center. As the Muslims reined strong southern Spain, much of the architecture has their beautiful influence.



There were only two major sites: the Cathedral and the Alcázar, which is basically a giant mansion similar to the famous Alhambra in Granada. Every ruling group that took up shop in this extravagant fort added some of their personal style but the predominant Moorish influence was the most eye-catching.






I actually enjoyed wandering alone a lot.



I lied. There were three major sites. YOGURTLANDIA! Basically half the reason I went to Sevilla in the first place was the try out the Spanish equivalent of my favorite thing of all time from back home.


It wasn't self serve, you could just get one of three sizes of the plain yogurt and add your choice of one fruit, one chocolate sauce, and one dry topping. It definitely didn't top Yogurtland but it was still delicious and I guess will hold me over until I go home. The owner said he had been the Yogurtland in San Diego.


I also took a day trip to Cádiz, a city even further south.


It was a very small but pretty sea-side town.



Like I said, while Madrid is basically SF or LA with tapas bars and Spanish speaking, Sevilla was more of the typical image we have of Spain. My hostel even went to a free Flamenco show at a bar. It is so fun to watch, it's unlike any other dance. The most important part of the Flamenco culture is how serious and passionate the musicians and dancers are. Take a look!


No comments:

Post a Comment