Monday, March 29, 2010

weirdness.

This week is Semana Santa or Spring break. I took my break a week early (woops) to coincide with UCLA Spring Break and go to Italy with Don. Point is, all my piso mates and friends are all gone on vacation so I will have plenty of time to do all my posts about Italy!

But because it's a story here is what happened the night before I left for Italy:

Being the sound sleeper that I am I am woken up at 2:30 am by people walking around and talking in our hall/kitchen area which is right outside my room. I think it is one of my roommates with friends so I get slightly annoyed and try to go back to sleep. After two or three minutes I realize they are speaking Spanish. But my one Spanish roomie is asleep...so whose friends are these? Are they even someone's friends? For a split second I get scared but then I decide whoever it is is obviously not trying to be sneaky since they are being really loud so they arent trying to hurt anyone. So I open my door and find a complete stranger (a guy about my age) in our fridge.

I procede to disregard the fact that I am in Spain and yell at him to get the bleep of my house. He tosses one of our tubs of butter into my hands and leaves. I go get my French roomie and our German roomie wakes up too. I didn't have any food on my shelf because I was leaving the next day but they realize stuff has been stolen from their shelves. We run outside and into our neigbor's open door where there is clearly a party going on. We ask to have our food back and all these girls start yelling at us and the kid that I saw in our house says I am "flipando" (halucinating). No, bruh, I just saw you in our house thirty seconds ago.

Caos ensues. Three foreign kids trying to confront a bunch of Spainards who are drunk (plus some we think) It just became a scene and ended in a bunch of mixed language profanities and my German roomie getting pushed by one of the crazy girls.

Eventually we get our fridge food that they had hidden in a cubboard and leave.

I guess what happened was my French roomie about ten minutes earlier had come home and forgot to slam the door (if you dont slam our front door it will creek open) and then a drunk friend of our neighbors thought it would be funny to come in (instead of shutting the door to help us out or ignoring it like a normal human being) and steal our food. It might have been funny if they had just given it back but they escalated it with pushing and yelling within seconds of when we went inside their door and asked for our food back.

It was a very strange event.

Lesson learned: swearing is not actually to intimidate the other party its just a realease of energy for your own benefit. That is why we all eventually resorted to our native langauges when yelling at these fools next door. As you can imagine, that didn't get us very far.

No comments:

Post a Comment